In recent weeks, there has been significant interest in the media about developments in the NEM following (but not necessarily the result of) the introduction of the carbon tax.
Some of these developments have included the following:
1) The periodic closure of Alinta’s Northern Power Station in South Australia;
2) The closure of Delta’s Munmorah Power Station in NSW;
3) The closure of one unit at EnergyAustralia’s Yallourn Power Station in Victoria – running hot on the heels of the problems experienced in June and July with the flooding of the coal supplies;
4) The closure of one unit at Stanwell’s Tarong Power Station in Queensland; and
5) Current technical problems at the Eraring Power Station in NSW, leading to all four units being offline for a number of weeks.